Chocolate Factory, Bristol
The Ex Elizabeth Shaw Chocolate Factory occupies a prominent site in Greenbanks Bristol. Planning consent was granted in early 2017 to redevelop the site with 140 new homes comprising 96 apartments and 44 houses together with circa 15,000 sq ft of flexible work space, a cafe/bar and a community hub.
The original building was constructed circa 1915 and is one of the earliest examples in the UK of a steel reinforced concrete framed factory. The building (known now as Block D) is a five‐storey building of steel reinforced, cast in‐situ concrete columns, beams and slabs.
The building has been in a derelict condition and open to the elements due to the window units being removed for many years. The original machinery plinths are still in place and the majority of the concrete elements are coated though the coating has failed now. The site was acquired in 2014 by its current owners Generator whom instructed the Concrete Corrosion Consultancy Practice to carry out a condition survey.
Following the condition survey a scope of works was generated of which Gunite were successful in being awarded.
The works involved:
- Full site set up
- Installation of independent Haki Staircase and rubbish chute
- Installation of edge protection system
- Wet grit blasting to all internal soffits, beams and columns to remove the existing coatings
- Concrete repairs identified with the condition survey and repaired using Fosroc’s mortar range
- Application of a surface applied corrosion inhibitor
The above repair works are inclusive of a 10-year Insurance Backed Guarantee.
Following the removal of the coatings it was identified that further repairs were required.
Along with this it has been confirmed that the external columns (20nr) require strengthening due additional levels being added to the structure. This work will involve
- Installation of a designed propping system
- Surface preparation
- Installation of new steel reinforcement
- Crack injection
- Increasing the thickness of the columns and soffit
- Application of a fairing coat and Anti-carbonation coatings
While you’re here why not also take a look at more case studies to see examples of the external refurbishment and waterproofing projects recently carried out and the passive fire protection works completed by our sister company Gunfire.